Today’s nonprofit CEOs are operating in an increasingly constituent-centric environment. Constituents are more empowered and have higher expectations. Combined with a crowded nonprofit landscape, CEOs have to be more strategic about how they target and serve their constituents to get the most return for each dollar they spend and the constituents receive a positive experience. Join us as we discuss how becoming constituent-centric can enable your organization to further its mission.
Presented by Accenture
The largest U.S. donors aspire to address society’s most difficult challenges. Sixty percent articulate a powerful social change goal as their dominant objective, and nearly 80 percent cite one among their top three priorities. Yet only 20 percent of their big-bet giving ($10 million-plus commitments) goes to social change. The other 80 percent is traditional institutional giving – primarily to universities, hospitals, and cultural institutions. Join us as we explore this massive “aspiration gap” between ambition and action. Where are donors betting big? What role do big bets play in nonprofit success? Why there aren’t there more of them?
Presented by The Bridgespan Group
Innovation doesn’t happen on its own. And, it doesn’t happen often enough. That’s because few leaders actually take the time to assess their own capacities. Prior to this workshop, you’ll register and take the Innovation Strengths Preference Indicator (ISPI™) assessment that will help you understand how you prefer to work with others, how you deal with issues of control, and what affects your motivation, passion, and decision-making. All of these things directly influence innovation. You’ll have the chance to talk with fellow leaders about what these preferences mean as you lead your organization.
Sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation
Everyone is getting wise to the symptoms of insufficient overhead, a syndrome we call the Nonprofit Starvation Cycle, but for some reason funding patterns have not changed. What’s holding us back? The cause is simple but profound: the failure to understand the economic diversity of nonprofits and what costs drive value. Nonprofits have different missions and hence very different cost structures. A lab aiming to cure cancer needs expensive lab facilities; a global NGO network has core support costs that include knowledge sharing, complex financial ledgers and global travel. Join us as we explore the ways in which understanding these differences can serve as the beginning of understanding how to break the starvation cycle.
Presented by The Bridgespan Group
Silicon Valley Community Foundation’s president and CEO headlines this year’s CEO Summit and will speak on the larger issues facing the philanthropic and nonprofit sector as it heads into the future. Emmett Carson will share how philanthropy can be a disruptive force while taking advantage of the imminent changes affecting our world. He will share his insights on what the sector needs to do to move forward and to be more effective in the coming years.
When President Kennedy announced the moonshot in 1962, an American had only just recently orbited the earth for the first time. A successful moon landing would take three different rocket programs and — as Kennedy said — metal alloys “some of which have not yet been invented” that could withstand heat about half that of the temperature of the sun. With the inspirational moonshot in mind, this session will explore how nonprofits can set truly audacious but attainable long term goals and plan strategically to achieve them — by seeking to meet a series of impact, scale and organizational challenges. Join the 2015 recipient of the John W. Gardner Leadership Award, Michael Brown CEO and Co-founder of City Year for insight and discussion on undertaking “civic moonshots.”